Frequent and proper hand hygiene is the most effective way to prevent the spread of infections. This course explains the importance of correct hand hygiene practices, as well as the appropriate methods and guidelines for hand hygiene.
- Identifies proper procedures when using alcohol-based hand rubs and soap and water, based on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations, through written instructions and video examples.
- Printable Five Moments of Hand Hygiene poster.
- Discuss the relationship between hand hygiene and health care-associated infections.
- Identify situations that require hand hygiene and determine if they are appropriate for using alcohol-based hand rubs or washing with soap and water.
- Describe the correct hand hygiene method using both soap and water and alcohol-based hand rubs.
- Explain the hand hygiene guidelines related to lotion, gloves, fingernails and jewelry.
Note: This course is only available to staff at PLS Participating Hospitals through their Learning Management Systems.