This course briefly reviews the epidemiology and pathophysiology of sickle cell disease (SCD) and focuses on the presentation and treatment of the most common acute manifestations of the disease, sickle cell crisis and acute chest syndrome.
- Explain the basic physiology of sickle cell crisis.
- Outline the basic treatment of vaso-occlusive crisis and acute chest syndrome.
- Provide care to the patient in crisis, addressing the following care needs:
b. Pain management
c. Prevention, monitoring, treatment of infection
d. Oxygenation and work of breathing
e. Blood transfusion
- Just-in-time job aid providing an overview of sickle cell disease.
- Interactive patient case scenario and knowledge checks.
- Video on sickle cell disease and its effects on the patient and family.
- Released on May 27th, 2016
- Approved for 0.9 CNE contact hours
- Appropriate for clinicians working in PICU and ED
- Part of our PICU Library
Children's Hospital Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.