CHA joined 46 allied organizations in sending a letter to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), spearheaded by Mental Health America, that details opportunities to leverage the Medicaid program to address mental health and substance use in a school setting. Specifically, the letter encourages CMS to explore additional state tools through a request for information (RFI) that focuses on mental health, substance use and related services provided in and coordinated with schools and early education programs.
In recognition of the fact that opportunities and challenges facing each state are different, the letter recommends that CMS issue an RFI in its next Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, seeking information about CMS policy barriers and opportunities for states and communities in using schools and early education programs to:
- Address the mental health and substance use needs and risks of students;
- Coordinate other health care services in schools;
- Support adults instrumental to the behavioral health of children;
- Engage multiple health care payers, as well as relevant state and local agencies; and
- Mitigate any potential for waste, fraud, and abuse.
CHA Contact: Rachel Bonesteel