About This Event
Diagnostic stewardship is an essential component of high-quality sepsis care. The BrighT STAR (Testing STewardship to reduce Antimicrobial Resistance) Collaborative sought to safely avoid unnecessary testing and treatment in pediatric critical illness to improve care and decrease antibiotic resistance. Join us to learn the results of this five-year effort.
- Identify the importance of diagnostic stewardship related to blood culture practices in pediatric critical illness to prevent harmful overuse and improve patient outcomes.
- Describe the BrighT STAR consensus recommendations for blood culture practices in pediatric critical care.
- List key results of the collaborative related to blood culture stewardship in pediatric critical care.
- Discuss strategies for successful multidisciplinary team implementation of BrighT STAR consensus guidelines.
- Woods-Hill, C. Z., Colantuoni, E. A., Koontz, D. W., Voskertchian, A., Xie, A., Thurm, C., ... & Zerr, D. M. (2022). Association of Diagnostic Stewardship for Blood Cultures in Critically Ill Children With Culture Rates, Antibiotic Use, and Patient Outcomes: Results of the Bright STAR Collaborative. JAMA pediatrics.
- Woods-Hill, C. Z., Koontz, D. W., Voskertchian, A., Xie, A., Shea, J., Miller, M. R., ... & Milstone, A. M. (2021). Consensus recommendations for blood culture use in critically ill children using a modified Delphi approach. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, 22(9), 774-784.