The Pediatric Health Information System® (PHIS) is a comparative database with clinical and resource utilization data for inpatient, ambulatory surgery, emergency department (ED) and observation unit encounters for more than 49 children's hospitals. The PHIS database supports a wide range of improvement activities, including:
- Clinical effectiveness
- Resource utilization
- Care guideline development
- Readmission analysis
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Physician profiling (OPPE) and more.
Data from PHIS is useful in identifying areas to improve clinical care, enhance financial outcomes, improve clinical documentation and perform research.
- Data: Patient abstract, diagnoses (ICD-9/10), procedures, billed transactions and utilization
- Patient types: Inpatient, observation, ambulatory surgery and ED
- Transparency: Unblinded hospital ID with ability to blind local competitors
PHIS provides executive-level reports to highlight trends based on key children's hospital metrics. Drill-down capability allows for identification of improvement opportunities. PHIS has more than 100 standard reports and ad-hoc reporting capability.