There are no better voices for children's health care needs than those of the parents, family members, physicians and other health care professionals who are on the front lines of pediatric care every day. That is why the Children's Hospital Association, with the support of its more than 200 member hospitals, manages the Speak Now for Kids advocacy community.
Speak Now for Kids is a community of people who believe that children should have access to the health care they need, when they need it. These champions learn about issues affecting kids' health, read fellow champions' stories and share their own with the Speak Now for Kids community, and take action on public policies that impact children and families.
Below is a list of ways to engage your children's hospital's stakeholders in the national effort to increase public awareness of the unique challenges children and families face in our changing health care system.
Spread the Word Among Hospital Stakeholders
- Send an email request or an internal newsletter article to one or more of the following hospital stakeholders asking them to join the Speak Now for Kids advocacy network: employees, boards, volunteers, medical school affiliates and community partners.
- Encourage hospital departments to share information about Speak Now for Kids when representing your hospital at upcoming meetings, conferences and community events.
- Share information with your hospital's parent advisory groups and other support groups that may meet in your facility.
- Post an alert about the Speak Now for Kids campaign on your closed circuit TV broadcasts directing viewers to share their stories on the Speak Now for Kids website.
Advocate on Hospital Blogs
- Encourage readers to visit the Speak Now for Kids blog to learn from and connect with those who are on the front lines of children's health care – parents, individual providers, and others.
- Connect with bloggers who focus on health care issues to write about patient family or individual health provider testimonials and encourage their participation in the Speak Now for Kids community.
- Write your own testimonial for a hospital blog and ask others to cross-post it to their own blogs, including CHA staff who manage Speak Now for Kids' content.
- Submit original content to be considered for publication on the Speak Now for Kids blog.
Advocate on Care Pages
- Post an entry about Speak Now for Kids on your Care Page/Caring Bridge page and ask your friends and family members to join people like them in this advocacy community.
Advocate on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Follow @speaknowforkids on Twitter and Instagram.
- Like the Speak Now for Kids Facebook page and encourage hospital supporters to also like the page.
- Provide a link to www.speaknowforkids.org on your hospital's Facebook wall.
- Post messages on your hospital's Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts about Speak Now for Kids and encourage your followers to participate in Speak Now for Kids.
Advocate on Pinterest
- Create a board of your favorite stories from Speak Now for Kids.
- Create a board of stories you think should be featured on Speak Now for Kids.
- Share your board with CHA staff who manage Speak Now for Kids' content.
Advocate on YouTube
- Like and share your favorite videos from the Speak Now for Kids YouTube page.
- Comment on videos that support children's health issues and link to Speak Now for Kids.
- Share your own video ideas with CHA staff who manage Speak Now for Kids' YouTube content.