The Joint Commission and the Institute of Medicine have identified falls, both adult and pediatric, as a significant patient safety risk. In order to reduce falls, organizations are required to have a fall reduction program that includes individualized strategies for patients. Staff, patients and caregivers should all be educated on ways to reduce falls. The content of this course aligns with the standard prevention elements outlined by the Children’s Hospitals’ Solution for Patient Safety (SPS) Prevention Bundles.
Objectives for the course:
- Summarize the unique characteristics of falls in the pediatric population.
- Outline assessment parameters for fall risk.
- Implement fall prevention strategies for pediatric patients.
- Discusses three frequently used fall risk assessment tools
- Entire course walks through an application-based patient case scenario
- Aligns with Solutions for Patient Safety (SPS) Prevention Bundles
- Refers to Joint Commission recommendations
- Newly developed course released on February 5th, 2016
- Approved for 0.5 CNE contact hours
- Appropriate for clinical and non-clinical staff
- Part of our Pediatric Acute Care Library and HAC Safety Suite
Children's Hospital Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.