This course will review assessment, manifestations, treatment and therapeutic strategies for children with depressive and bipolar disorders. By learning more about mood disorders the pediatric clinician will be better prepared to support the child and family with a mood disorder. Learn more about this course below and see related courses on the Pediatric Learning Solutions Pediatric Behavioral and Mental Health Library page.
- Discuss the importance of identifying mood disorders in a medical setting.
- Define and describe the presentation of the various types of mood disorders typically seen in the pediatric population.
- Identify evidence-based strategies to assess for symptoms of mood disorders, the risk of suicide and related concerns/issues in youth with mood disorders.
- Outline treatment modalities (psychotherapeutic and pharmacological) for mood disorders in the pediatric population.
- Identify therapeutic strategies to utilize when interacting with the pediatric patient with a mood disorder and the child's family.
- Interactive patient scenarios.
- In-depth explanations of patient assessment, treatment types, and therapeutic options.
- Updated version released Aug. 1, 2021.
- CME, CNE, PDU, and CRCE credit are available.
Children with mood disorders may present in an acute care setting for a variety of reasons and manifestations. It is important for the clinician to recognize the child with a mood disorder no matter why they are being seen. Because of the child's disorder, he or she will likely have fewer resources to handle stressful situations such as being in an emergency department or hospital setting. While all children may feel anxious and apprehensive in a medical setting, children with mood disorders are less able to regulate their emotions and adapt to the stressful environment.
NOTE: This course is only available to staff at PLS Participating Hospitals through their Learning Management Systems. If you are interested, please check with your organization’s learning staff or contact Patty Kohn to learn more.