Progress through interactive, on-demand modules that offer a step-by-step guide on how to do health services research.
Put learning into practice with expert mentors and statistical support.
Acquire the practical fundamentals of health services research to succeed in your research career.
Contact email@example.com for more information or questions about the experience, pricing and faculty.
Use the button below to share your background, research area of interest, and research skills you want to acquire.
A new, free Academy learning module to help prepare for research and analytics questions on the Pediatric Hospital Medicine Boards is now available. Good luck on the boards! Access learning module.
About the Research Academy
The Children’s Hospital Association Health Services Research Academy is a one-to-two year education program for health care professionals of all fields and disciplines that wish to acquire the fundamental skills to conduct health services research.
The Academy offers:
- On-demand learning modules assist with project development, analysis, completion, and dissemination of findings
- Hands-on, project-specific coaching or mentoring from internationally-renown health services research experts
- Platforms for project presentation and feedback
Three levels of participation are available. Read the program summary for details, including participation requirements.
Clinical Director: Jay Berry, M.D.
Statistical Director: Matt Hall, Ph.D.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply?
- Any health care professional (e.g., physician, nurse, social worker, analyst, administrator) or research professional (e.g., research assistant, coordinator, program manager.)
- All backgrounds and levels of experience with health services and clinical research are welcome to enroll. Learners, including clinical fellows and emerging investigators, are encouraged to apply.
What is the commitment?
- The program is tailored to the needs of each enrollee. The amount of time and effort required for graduation will vary, but a one-year commitment is anticipated for most participants.
- Enrollees will complete a suite of 15 online health services research modules. Topics mirror the essential steps of developing and conducting a research project, as well as disseminating findings from it. Topics range from introductory (e.g., how to develop a research analytical plan) to advanced (e.g., multivariable analysis using large, administrative claims data.)
- The Capstone project provides the ultimate research experience. Enrollees can integrate one or more research projects with the learning modules, and receive direct coaching or mentoring from faculty. Program faculty will collaborate closely with enrollees’ local mentors.
What makes this research program unique?
- The curriculum is designed to enhance research project skills across the continuum, from idea inception to dissemination of findings.
- The curriculum includes teaching on fundamental aspects of research that are often absent from traditional academic research training degrees and programs (e.g., how to assemble high quality tables and figures, how to write a high quality response to reviewers document during peer review for a manuscript publication.)
- This research program was developed with practicality at its core. The curriculum is flexible to accommodate your existing research knowledge and complement that knowledge by acquiring new research skills based on your interest. The timeline for completion is also flexible. It's designed to work as a stand-along training program, or in conjunction with pursuit of a formal education degree (e.g., masters of public health.)