This white paper highlights the integral role registered dietitians play in comprehensive multidisciplinary weight management programs for overweight and obese youth. It provides a summary of current practices and consensus recommendations for nutrition assessment and treatment in a Stage III pediatric weight management program, and can serve as a helpful tool for dietitians and other practitioners working in pediatric weight management programs to better understand the role of the dietitian.
The report contains:
- Consensus thinking from dietitians representing more than 20 pediatric weight management programs
- Information on dietitian education and training
- Categories for assessment including anthropometrics, biochemical data, nutrition-focused physical findings, food and client history
- Categories for treatment including nutrition interventions by age group
- Documentation and reimbursement tips including information on electronic medical records and their impact on practice and diagnosis and billing
This work was part of the Children's Hospital Association's FOCUS on a Fitter Future initiative to address the pediatric obesity epidemic, which involved 25 institutions providing Stage III PWM programs in the United States.