The challenge of living with a pediatric chronic condition can cause stress and alter coping mechanisms for patients and their families. In addition, the emotional toll can adversely affect adherence and health outcomes and increase healthcare costs. Parents don’t expect their pediatricians to be mental health experts, but the pediatrician’s interest and support is tremendously valued.
In this webinar, the first in the Roadmap Webinar Series, attendees will develop an understanding of the relationship between emotional health status and adherence and outcomes, hear about the toll from the parent perspective, and learn an initial strategy to offer emotional support.
- Understand the need to improve resilience and emotional support for children with chronic conditions and their families
- State the relationship between emotional health status and adherence, outcomes, and costs
- Describe the Normalize – Ask – Pause technique for beginning conversations about emotional health
Webinar Series: Supporting Emotional Health for Those with a Chronic Pediatric Condition
The American Board of Pediatrics and the Children's Hospital Association are working together to deliver this Roadmap Webinar Series. It features clinicians, quality improvement experts, and parents whose child has a chronic condition. The series will:
- Explore the emotional toll of chronic pediatric conditions,
- Highlight the relationship to outcomes and costs, and
- Provide tools and strategies clinical teams can use to support patient and family emotional health and resilience.